Monday, July 9, 2018

WEEK2: Topic 2 THE INTERNET

Everything that Turkle says in her Ted Talk is true. Cellphones, texts, e-mails, posts, etc. are supposed to make us connected rather than isolated from one another. Apparently, the impact of the internet and technology to us is the latter. I have noticed this, many times myself as well. When I went out with my high school friends the other month, all we did was talk and look at our cell phones. We took a lot of photos and posts them on our Instagram and other social media accounts. This lunch out was planned months ago yet when we were face-to-face, it did not seem like we wanted to see each other, or we missed one another. So although we were at the same table, it did not feel like we were really together. We were just there, ate and talked a little, and used our mobile phones a lot. At home, the same case is true. Before having breakfast, lunch, or dinner, everyone is using their mobile phones. Everyone would just stop while eating because this is our number 1 rule at home. We are not allowed to use our phones while at the table. Since we only spend like thirty to forty minutes for every meal, we make sure that we do not spend most of that time looking down at our phones. I believe this is a good rule because somehow, we have a moment wherein we really connect and see one another. 

I am also guilty of using my mobile phone and staying online almost every minute of every day. I realized that I spend 30 hours a week in digital gaming and social networking. I learned to play the League of Legends which takes up most of my time in a day. I like it because it is an interactive game. However, I am not a part of any online community because I do not like to post comments. Aside from gaming, I usually use the internet for researching and getting the necessary information that I need for school. It has been my replacement for reading and going to the library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment